Canada’s job market is growing. Approximately 5.95 million job openings are expected in Canada during 2015- 2024.
Growth in the Canadian job market is a result of:
- Growth – Canada’s economy continues to grow.
- Innovation– By 2019, it’s estimated there will be 182,000 job openings in Canada’s tech sector. (Source: Brookfield Institute)
- Retirement – Canada is facing a surge in people retiring each year due to an ageing population. The number of new retirees in Canada each year is approximately 250,000. Within a few years, the retirement rates will be close to 400,000 per year.
Canadian immigration is incredibly important to the success of the Canadian economy and the battle to replenish the workforce. Each year about 300,000 new immigrants arrive in Canada, roughly double Canada’s natural growth rate.
(Source: Statistics Canada and ESDC 2015 COPS Projections)
The industries seeking employees are always changing. We keep up-to-date on the job market and the immigration needs across Canada and will review this with you during your initial consultation. Some of the industries predicting an increase in hiring in 2017 are as follows:
- Manufacturing – Durable Goods
- Public Administration
- Transportation & Public Utilities
- Finance, Insurance & Real Estate
- Wholesale & Retail Trade
How can I find a job in Canada when I live overseas? Download our e-book for helpful Canadian job websites and tips on starting your Canadian job search.
Spotlight: IT IndustryThe tech sector is one of the fastest growing industries in Canada – there are over half a million IT professionals in Canada. The tech sector was directly responsible for $117 billion CDN or 7.1 percent of Canada’s economic output, greater than that of the finance and insurance industry.
On average there are over 18,000 IT job openings in Canada from over 5,000 employers.
Tech companies are actively lobbying the Canadian government to help address their labour shortage and allow them to hire top talent from around the world quickly to address their business needs.
Did you know?
- As of 2016, 864,000 Canadians are employed in the tech sector, which made up 5.6 percent of Canada’s total employment.
- At over $9.1 billion, the tech sector was by far the largest private sector investor in research and development.
- The tech sector was also comprised of nearly 71,000 firms that year, representing 6.1 percent of all Canadian businesses.
- Tech sector employees earned approximately $67,000 a year, compared to the national average of nearly $48,000.
(Source: Brookfield Institute)
The Most In-Demand IT Roles in Canada
- Project Manager
- Software Developer
- Web Developer
- Programmer Analyst
- Java Developer
- Senior Project Manager
- Quality Assurance Analyst
- Software Engineer
- Business Analyst
- Systems Analyst
The Top Canadian Companies Hiring IT Talent
- CGI Group
- Toronto-Dominion Bank
- TELUS Corporation
- Toronto Dominion Bank
- NTT Data, Inc.
- Bell Canada/BELL
- Rogers Communications Inc.