Atlantic Canada – Now Easier for Students to Become Permanent Residents

Atlantic Canada – Now Easier for Students to Become Permanent Residents

Recently, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Prince Edward released a new immigration program that makes it easier for graduates to become Permanent Residents of Canada.
The Atlantic International Graduate Program (AIGP) allows international graduates from eligible institutions to apply for permanent residency in Canada. The most attractive feature of the program is that international graduates do not need to have a skilled work experience to be eligible to apply.
While it is a requirement that graduates have a job offer to be eligible for the program, the employment does not need to be related to their studies and does not need to be a highly-skilled job.
It can be difficult for students to find highly-skilled employment in their field of studies immediately after they graduate. The AIGP encourages students to start working and gaining experience and accepts their initial job may be at the entry-level and not in their field of study.
The AIGP makes it easier for students to be eligible to stay in Canada and to immediately apply for permanent residency.
Eligibility Requirements for Graduates.
To be eligible to apply under the AIGP, international graduates must have the following:
Earned a degree, diploma, certificate, or trade or apprenticeship credential from a study program of at least 2 years’ duration at a recognized publicly-funded institution in the mentioned Provinces.
Applicants must have been a full-time student in Canada for at least 2 years, and are required to apply within not more than 12 months of their graduation.
Applicants must have lived in one of the Atlantic province for at least 16 months out of the two years before their graduation.
Study or training programs are not eligible if more than half of the program consisted of English or French second language courses, or distance learning courses.
Applicants are also have to prove a language level in English or French at level four (Fluent Basic level) of the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB), and enough funds to support themselves and their family members.

As a result of the AIGP, enrollment in universities across the Atlantic provinces of P.E.I., Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick has increased significantly over the last ten years. The Provinces are popular with international students for its low tuition fees and living costs, good climate, and opportunities for permanent residency after graduation. Currently, many initiatives in the different provinces have been established to motivate graduates to settle permanently in the Atlantic provinces after graduation.
Moreover, even though Newfoundland and Labrador are not included in the definition of the Maritime provinces, institutions in the province have been increasing their internationalization efforts in recent years with positive results. Recently, approximately 13 percent of students at Memorial University of Newfoundland, are international students.

Other Ways to Obtain Permanent Residency in Canada After Graduating:
Most provinces have at least one dedicated stream within their Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) that targets international students.

Nova Scotia
The International Graduate Entrepreneur Stream of the Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP) offers a great opportunity for international graduates who have studied in Nova Scotia to start or buy a business in the province, and pursue permanent immigration.
Graduates who have a Post-Graduation Work Permit and work full-time for at least 12 months in a skilled position in Nova Scotia are eligible to apply for the NSNP Nova Scotia Experience: Express Entry category.

New Brunswick
The New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NBPNP) Express Entry Labour Market Stream has priority for international graduates from New Brunswick institutions, who may have 5 eligibility points for their study program.

Newfoundland and Labrador
International graduates with a job or job offer from a Newfoundland and Labrador employer may get a permanent resident status through the International Graduate Category of the Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP). Graduates from institutions across Canada may be eligible under this category, although additional eligibility criteria may be applicable to graduates from institutions outside the province.

Prince Edward Island
The Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP) Labour Impact Category: International Graduate is an employer-driven stream that enables employers in the province to hire recent graduates from universities and colleges in the province.

At Beeton & Co we offer an Inclusive Package:
• Find the Best Canadian University or College
• Obtain your Canadian Study Permit
• Assist with Finding Employment After Graduation
• Obtain Permanent Residency
Please get in touch with us at to find out more.

Julie Beeton is a qualified Canadian Immigration Lawyer and the founder of Beeton & Co, Canadian Education and Immigration Consultants. Beeton & Co helps families and professionals around the world immigrate and study in Canada. This article does not constitute legal advice.

How to Avoid Fraudulent Immigration Companies

How to Avoid Fraudulent Immigration Companies

Over the summer two companies in Dubai were exposed as offering fraudulent migration services to foreign countries like Canada and New Zealand.
According to the paper that exposed them, Oracle Visa and World Migrations, allegedly collected money from unsuspecting customers promising them jobs abroad. Unfortunately, these companies exist around the world and take advantage of anyone who is not familiar with the Canadian immigration system and who does not know who to trust for Canadian immigration advice.
We spoke with Julie Beeton, Canadian Immigration Lawyer and Managing Director of Beeton & Co, a company based in the UAE that helps families and students around the world immigrate and study in Canada. She gave us her top 5 recommendations for avoiding fraudulent immigration companies:

1. Is the Person Helping You Regulated?
Ask the person processing your application for their ICCRC number. Often there is only one person in a company that is a registered Canadian immigration consultant and the person actually processing your application may not be regulated. Another option is to find a Canadian immigration lawyer and ask for their Law Society number. Canadian immigration lawyers have attended law school in Canada and are regulated by a Canadian Law Society – this can be confirmed on the Law Society’s website.
2. Ask for your CRS score.
If your consultant is not providing you with this score – find another company. The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score is the best indication of whether you are eligible for Canadian immigration but many companies do not share it with their clients. The Beeton & Co website provides this information when you complete the free assessment. The Canadian Government also offers it for free.
3. Watch out for companies who “guarantee” your application will be successful.
These companies often ask for a large fee and when your application is denied, only return a small portion of your fees. There are people who have discovered their application was never actually submitted by these companies. The only guarantee you have at being successful is having a Canadian immigration score that is high enough to be selected.
4. If your consultant is asking you to be untruthful on your application, not allowing you to review your application before it is submitted or not clearly answering all your questions, find someone else to work with.
Providing incorrect information on your application can lead to it being rejected or you receiving an immigration ban of up to 5 years.
5. If a company is asking you to pay for a job in Canada, this is usually a red flag.
Canadian companies that are interested in recruiting do not charge fees to people they are trying to hire. The Beeton & Co Facebook page frequently advertises for Canadian companies who are recruiting in the region – these are Canadian government sponsored recruitment sessions.
As her final advice, Julie Beeton stated, “Find someone reputable to help you with your Canadian immigration application but also read about the process on your own so you are aware of how it works.”
Beeton & Co regularly offers free Facebook live presentations to give accurate and professional information to people about the Canadian immigration system.
19 September 2017 – Engineers and Technology Jobs in Canada
25 September 2017 – Tips on Studying in Canada and How to Obtain a Canadian Study Permit.
Join on the Beeton & Co Facebook page:

Engineering Jobs in Canada

Engineering Jobs in Canada

Engineers are in high demand in Canada due to the oil and gas industry bouncing back and the strength of other industries such as technology, agriculture and natural resources.

Opportunities for Engineers in Canada
Every 3-4 months Provinces in Canada publish an in-demand list of jobs. If you have work experience in these professions, you are eligible to apply for Canadian immigration under these programs.
For example, in late 2017, the Saskatchewan Government set out their list of in-demand jobs which included:

• Engineering managers
• Civil engineers
• Mechanical engineers
• Electrical and electronics engineers
• Industrial and manufacturing engineers
• Computer engineers
• Software engineers and designers

How Do I Become Licensed?
To start your working career as an engineer in Canada, you need to be licensed by a Canadian Province. To get this license, there are some requirements that you need to meet in academics, work experience, language, good character, professionalism and ethics.
Canadian professional engineering associations regulate every aspect of the engineering profession in Canada and they operate in all Provinces and Territories. Engineering licenses are granted by these associations. You must apply for your P.Eng. license with the professional engineering association in the Province or Territory where you are planning to live and work. That association will answer any questions you might have about its regulations or official admissions policies.

Membership Types for Engineers
There are two kinds of memberships that are offered by every engineering association in Canada:

Engineer-in-Training: This membership status indicates that the first step in the licensing process has been completed by satisfying the academic requirements and meeting the good character requirements. People with an engineer-in-training membership are working toward gaining the four years of engineering work experience they need—including one year in Canada—to become a professional engineer (P.Eng.).

Professional Engineer (P.Eng.): With this you will be licensed to practice professional engineering in your area of expertise and take full responsibility for your own work.

Submission of Required Documents
When you apply to become an engineer in Canada, the association you apply to will need to review documents that give information about your education, work experience, character, language level and understanding of ethics and laws in Canada. Please review the association’s website to find out which documents are required.

Academic Assessment
The association will look at your academic documents such as degrees, transcripts or certificates for them to determine if you need to complete any additional courses or take any examinations. In most cases, your degree and transcripts must be sent directly from your institution to the provincial/territorial engineering association. If your academic documents are not in the language of practice of the province/territory in which you wish to work, you must also provide certified translations.

Work Experience and References Assessments
The association assesses your work experience record and reference letters to make sure you have completed the required minimum of four years of engineering work experience.
The format and requirements of your work experience record will vary from one engineering association to the other, but generally should include your employer’s name, the position you held, your supervisor’s name and a description of the engineering work you did. Your work record must be approved by a professional engineer (P.Eng.). However, you do not have to wait until you have one year of supervised engineering experience in Canada before submitting your application.

Language Competency Assessment
You must meet the language requirements of the province/territory you wish to work in. Language competency means that you are able to communicate effectively with the public, colleagues, employers, and others. Communication should be clear and professional, both orally and in written. The provincial/territorial associations use different methods to assess language competency.

Character Assessment
The association you apply to for licensure will ensure that you have observed the values of truth, honesty and trustworthiness so that you can uphold the reputation of the profession as you work as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Canada.

Professional Practice Examination
The mandatory Professional Practice Examination (PPE) tests your knowledge of ethics and Canadian law as it relates to engineering, including contract, patent, trademark and copyright laws. This exam is held at least twice a year.

Getting Your License
When you have successfully completed all the steps in the application process, the association you apply to for licensure will give you your official certificate, a letter of confirmation and other items.
To conclude, there are many opportunities for engineers in Canada.There are many provinces that want engineers to apply for Canadian immigration throughout the year. Make sure to start your licensing process as soon as possible to avoid delaying your Canadian immigration application.

If you are an engineer and interested in immigrating to Canada, take our
FREE Canadian immigration assessment:

Book a one-one-one consultation with
Canadian immigration lawyer, Julie Beeton:

Julie Beeton

Julie Beeton is a Canadian immigration lawyer and Managing Director of Beeton & Co based in the UAE. She is regulated by the Law Society of Upper Canada.

From Pakistan to the UAE: But What is your Connection to Canada?

From Pakistan to the UAE: But What is your Connection to Canada?

Samir Shahid is the Director of Alloitt Hadi Shahid Chartered Accountants in Dubai.  Although he has been based in the UAE since 1979 – he also has a strong connection to Canada.  Julie Beeton, Canadian immigration lawyer and managing director of Beeton & Co, Canadian Immigration and Education Advisers sat down with Samir to hear more.

Thanks for your time Samir – can you please let us know a little about you and your business?

I moved to the UAE when I was 6 months old with my parents from Karachi, Pakistan. I have not lived in Pakistan since but I go back to visit frequently.

I am a Certified Public Accountant and studied in both Canada and the US. Alliott group is global alliance of lawyers, chartered accountants and management consultants. There are over 200 offices in 80-90 countries and my offices ( Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Al Ain ) represents the UAE.

Interesting – where did you study in Canada?
I studied for 1 year at Centennial College in Toronto and then completed my Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree in the US.

What was it like living in Canada?
When I moved to Canada, it was the first time I lived on my own. My parents came with me for a couple of weeks to help me get settled and after that I was living by myself. It was the first time I had to do things for myself like getting groceries and cook. I ate a lot of muffins and juice during that time when I had not went grocery shopping!

Moving to Canada was a huge learning experience. You need to have the right mindset when you move to be accepting of new things and accept new challenges.

What was your experience like settling into Canadian life?
The Canadian people are really friendly. When I arrived, I stayed in the Holiday Inn hotel opposite my college. I stayed there for 2-3 weeks with my parents until I found an apartment. The people that worked at the hotel were my first friends.

They were so kind that even after I moved out of the hotel, I would sometimes get on the wrong bus or end up in the wrong end of town and I would call the hotel for help. They would always send me a car or personally come pick me up.

Last year, almost 20 years after I met them, I went back to Canada and had a reunion with all of these people! We are still friends to this day.

I always say to my wife “If it wasn’t for these people, I would be totally lost.”

What advice do you have for people who are interested in Canada based in the UAE?

“Canada is a very friendly and attractive country. The people are very nice, friendly and welcoming. Without a doubt would prefer Canada to other countries.”

Thank you to Samir for taking the time to speak with us.


Canadian Immigration Programs

Canadian Immigration Programs

Your age, work experience, education and language skills will determine which Canadian immigration programs you are eligible for.

As of today, there are more than 60 Canadian immigration programs. As there are so many options, the pathway for each will have a different course. For example, there are programs that want people with specific work experience.  Eligibility for other programs is based on your personal factors such as your age, work experience, education and language skills.   Other programs consider whether you have a connection to a certain province or city.  There is also an option called the Family Class Sponsorship where permanent residents and Canadian citizens may sponsor loved ones for Canadian immigration.

How To Know Which Immigration Program Is The One For You?

  1. Having a post-secondary education qualification: Your education is extremely valuable to Canada which makes it an important aspect in many of the Canadian immigration programs. Some programs like the Provincial Nominee and Skilled Worker programs allot point value to your existing education qualifications.
  2. Having one year of experience as a skilled worker: Having a year’s experience makes you more attractive in the Canadian labor market. Programs like the Provincial Nominee and Skilled worker assign point values to work experience in a particular occupational domain. These programs regard work experience to be a valuable asset, in turn increasing your chances of getting selected.
  3. Do I need a Canadian job offer? Many Canadian immigration programs do not require you to have job offers which are the programs we focus on for our clients.
  4. Having relatives or friends living in Canada: If you have a close relative living in Canada, you will be eligible for applying for permanent residency under the Family Class program or get additional Canadian immigration points when applying through Express Entry.
  5. Having already studied or worked in Canada: Completing your studies in Canada gives you additional Canadian immigration points. After you complete your studies you may stay and work in Canada for up to 3 years.  Having Canadian work experience also gives you additional Canadian immigration points.

Take our free assessment to know which Canadian immigration program is best-suited for you in order to fulfill your Canadian immigration goals.


75 Victoria Avenue
K6V 2B5

United Arab Emirates

Beeton & Co in partnership with Mercan,
Office 2704, Concord Tower,
Business Bay, Dubai

With locations in Dubai Marina and Business Bay.

The information contained on this website is only an overview and does not constitute legal advice in the UAE or elsewhere. Beeton & Co FZ LLC is owned and operated by Canadian qualified lawyers, provides immigration advisory services and does not provide legal services in Dubai. Readers are cautioned against making any decisions based on the material in this website alone and are encouraged to obtain professional advice.

©2017 Beeton & Co