The Canadian Government has established Business Class Immigration Programs aimed at attracting investors, entrepreneurs, and self-employed professionals from outside of Canada who can invest in, or start businesses in Canada.
Business Class investors are expected to support the development of a strong and prosperous Canadian economy with their available capital, significant business experience, and entrepreneurial skills.
If you have management experience or are a business owner with a high net worth, the Canadian Business Class immigration programs may be well-suited to you.
Each Business Class Immigration Program requires different experience and business goals.
Contact us if you need more information.
What are the Business Class Immigration Programs?
Provincial Business Immigration Programs
Many of the provinces in Canada have Business Class immigration programs which have much lower capital investment thresholds than the federal programs outlined below. Generally, these programs have the following requirements (including but not limited to):
- a personal net worth of over $500,000 CDN
- an investment of $100,000 CDN – $300,000 CDN
- 3-5 years business management experience
- submission of a business plan with your application
These investment requirements vary across each province and must be reviewed individually. Many provinces require Business Class investors to visit the province before filing their application to review the local businesses and to better understand the market.
If your application is successful, you are obligated to invest in a particular province.
Click here to review a summary of the financial commitment required for each province
Federal Business Immigration Programs
Immigrant Investor Class
To qualify as an immigrant investor, you must:
- be able to make a $2 million CDN at-risk (non-guaranteed) investment for approximately 15 years;
- have a legally obtained net worth of at least CDN $10 million acquired through lawful business or investment activities;
- meet or exceed Canadian Language Benchmark 5 (PDF, 4.38 MB) in English or Niveau de competence linguistique canadien 5 in French for all four language abilities (speaking, listening, reading, and writing); and
- have completed a Canadian post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate of at least one year, or the foreign equivalent as validated by an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).
- You must also meet basic admissibility requirements relating to health and security.
Entrepreneur Start-Up Business Class
If you have an innovative idea and would like to start a business in Canada, the Entrepreneur Start Up Business Class may be suitable. To be eligible one of the businesses, funds or organizations specially designated by the Canadian Government must issue a Letter of Support for your innovative business idea. Up to five people may apply for the visa but these individuals, along with the designated organization supporting your business must own at least 50% of the voting rights of the company.
Self – Employed
Immigration under the Self-Employed visa is limited to people with 2 years experience in the following areas:
- cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level
- self-employed in cultural activities or athletics, or
- experience in managing a farm
Want to know more about Business Immigration – complete the Online Assessment and our team will get in touch with you.