Would you like your family to join you in Canada?

Did you Know?

Permanent Residents of Canada and Canadian citizens are eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner, dependent children, parents and grandparents to move to Canada.

Step-by-Step Guide to Sponsorship

Step 1 Canadian Immigration Lawyer explains the Sponsorship Process

Decide whether to submit the application In-Land or Out-Land.  What is the processing time?

Step 2 Gather Supporting Documents

Our Canadian Immigration Lawyers will review all of your supporting documents and ensure you have everything required for your application.  Do the documents need to be notarized?  We will explain all of this to you and keep an checklist of all documents.

Step 3 We Complete Your Application and Cover Letter

We will request information from you via email and also meet with you (Phone/Skype/In-Person).  We will send you the applications to review and sign.

Step 4 Submit to the Canadian Government

We will submit this on your behalf and continue to update you during the application process with updates from the Canadian Government.

Step 5 Prepare for your Family’s Arrival in Canada


Free Assessment

Sponsorship of Spouse, Partner and/or Dependent Children

Once you have become a Canadian Permanent Resident you may apply to sponsor your spouse, partner and/or dependent children to move with you to Canada.

The Government of Canada strongly supports keeping families together whenever possible. As such, the processing of Family Class applications is given a high priority at Canadian Visa Offices.

As the sponsor, you will be required to meet certain requirements including:

  • meeting basic needs—such as food, clothing and shelter—for yourself and your family,
  • supporting your relatives financially, and
  • making sure your spouse or relative does not need to ask for financial help from the Government of Canada.

As of December 2015, the Canadian Government has extended the pilot program which issues certain spouses or common-law partners in Canada open work permits before the approval in principle decision is made for their Permanent Residency.

Other tips:

  • Your family member must have medical tests from doctors approved by the Canadian Government
  • Your family members must provide police certificates showing they do not have criminal records. These certificates are required from every country your family member has living in for more than 6 months since the age of 18.
  • You may apply to sponsor a common-law partner, of the opposite sex or the same sex if you can prove you have been living with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a relationship like a marriage.

If you are interested in sponsoring your family and moving them to Canada, please contact Beeton & Co to discuss your options.

Consider: Important Facts on Timing

Applicants should consider whether they should submit their sponsorship application “In-Land” (to a processing center in Canada) or “Out-land” (to a visa office outside of Canada). This decision can radically affect the time it takes to process the application but also determine whether the sponsored spouse can travel in and out of Canada during the application process.

Sponsoring Your Parents and Grandparents

The Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP) is an extremely sought after program for Canadian immigration and it is suggested that candidates prepare their applications early so they are ready for when the PGP opens each year.

Criteria for Sponsoring your Parent or Grandparent

To sponsor your parent or grandparent, the following criteria must be met:

  • Parents and grandparents must be eligible to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents which includes medical exams and police certificates.
  • You must be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen and be over 18 years old.
  • When you sponsor a parent or grandparent to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must promise to support that person and their dependants financially.
  • You and the sponsored parent or grandparent must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to providing financial support for your relative if necessary.

Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents

Currently, most visitors to Canada may visit for up to 6 months when they first enter Canada and if they wish to stay in Canada longer, they must apply for an extension.

Pursuant to the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, parents and grandparents can stay in Canada for up to 2 years without renewing their status.

The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years.

An Immigration Officer will consider a number of factors when reviewing a Super Visa application including:

  • Your parent/grandparent’s ties to their home country – will your parent/grandparent leave Canada after 2 years or want to stay in Canada full time? What ties do they have to their home country?
  • The purpose of your parent/grandparent’s visit
  • You parent/grandparent’s finances
  • The economic and political stability of your parent/grandparent’s home country

Your parents/grandparents must also:

  • Prove that you live in Canada and meet the minimum income threshold
  • Provide a written statement from you that you will give them financial support
  • Have valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year
  • Have an immigration medical exam.

75 Victoria Avenue
K6V 2B5

United Arab Emirates

Beeton & Co in partnership with Mercan,
Office 2704, Concord Tower,
Business Bay, Dubai

With locations in Dubai Marina and Business Bay.

The information contained on this website is only an overview and does not constitute legal advice in the UAE or elsewhere. Beeton & Co FZ LLC is owned and operated by Canadian qualified lawyers, provides immigration advisory services and does not provide legal services in Dubai. Readers are cautioned against making any decisions based on the material in this website alone and are encouraged to obtain professional advice.

©2017 Beeton & Co