Canada does not have a central clearing house like the UCAS in the United Kingdom or the Common App in the US.  When applying to universities and colleges in Canada, generally students will be applying to each institution individually.  There are some exceptions, such as the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC) where students can apply to multiple universities on one single application but for the most part, they will be applying to universities and colleges directly.

Admission requirements will vary between universities and colleges and programs.  Students will need to contact each school individually to find out the admission requirements for the programs they are interested in.

Find out how we can help

Below are some important issues for students to consider in addition to the academic requirements for admission.

Designated Learning Institution

Before submitting your Canadian Study Permit application you must receive an offer of admission from a “Designated Learning Institution”.  The “Designated Learning Institution” title is determined by the Canadian Government and includes most universities and colleges in Canada but make sure to check the designation before submitting your Study Permit application.  Also, ensure to include a copy of your admission letter with your application.

English Language Requirements

The language requirements for most universities in Canada state that if you have not (i) lived in a country where English is the acknowledged primary language, or (ii) studied at a school full-time for a prescribed number of years where the language of instruction was English, then you need to submit English language scores from a standardized English language testing facility.

Please see “Study English” [LINK] for more information

Application Deadlines

Students will need to check the application deadlines at each university and college as some institutions only accept applications a certain points during the year.  Universities and colleges will each take a different amount of time to assess your application but on average a decision takes between 4-6 months.   We suggest to the students we work with to apply for admission as early as possible to ensure they also have enough time to apply for their Canadian Study Permit.  The Study Permit application can take 4 -15 weeks depending on which Visa Office you are applying to and whether it is a busy time for Study Permit applications.

Academic Year

The academic year in Canada is usually from September to May but many universities and colleges will also have an intake in January.  Many universities and colleges also offer select courses during the summer months (July and August).



75 Victoria Avenue
K6V 2B5

United Arab Emirates

Beeton & Co in partnership with Mercan,
Office 2704, Concord Tower,
Business Bay, Dubai

With locations in Dubai Marina and Business Bay.

The information contained on this website is only an overview and does not constitute legal advice in the UAE or elsewhere. Beeton & Co FZ LLC is owned and operated by Canadian qualified lawyers, provides immigration advisory services and does not provide legal services in Dubai. Readers are cautioned against making any decisions based on the material in this website alone and are encouraged to obtain professional advice.

©2017 Beeton & Co